Sunday, May 8, 2011

The trip to St Louis


I enjoy St Louis....




So...the UAB (unaccompanied baggage)and dropping the Acadia off in St Louis had me NERVOUS. Trying to figure out what to send in the UAB was kind of complicated to me until I realized I would just send what I wanted to live the shortest amount of time without. It also helped when I decided anything I didn't send in UAB and really wanted quickly, I would just mail. I know it's probably pretty simple for some people, but if you know me, you get this.
The day of the UAB pickup, I needed to leave for IN to drop the girls off at Dan's sister's house for the next few days. After that, I had to head to Indy for the night because Angie and I were leaving early Friday morning for St Louis to drop our car off for shipment.
Dan's parents came down the morning of the UAB pickup, but the packers didn't get here until early afternoon. That all went fairly smoothly, and then they drove Dan's truck to the Hertz office in Elizabethtown. Bill and Martha left to go home from there, and I headed to pick Abby up from after school care. On the way, I reached for my iPod I got for mother's day (early) and realized it wasn't in my purse, where I thought I'd put it. I debated going all the way back home to get it, when we were so close to the interstate. I decided to run home, even though it added probably a half hour to my trip, but I really wanted to listen to music with all the driving I was about to do. I am so glad I did.
I got the girls dropped off at Deb's, with a little tears, and headed for Indy to spend the night. Now, I fibbed to a few people and told them I was staying in a different place than I really did. I stayed in a hotel in Plainfield just because I didn't want anyone to worry themselves over me staying in a hotel by myself. BUT, it saved me a lot of travel time and it was just more convenient. I was SO tired when I finally got there (almost 10pm) and really don't remember much from the check-in other than where I parked. The next morning, I got up and rushed to get ready. I had to meet Angie at Christy's house, which is super conveniently close to the interstate, at 7am. I was heading out the door, on time, mind you, and couldn't find my keys! I searched everywhere, but I honestly didn't have much stuff, so all I could think was that I dropped them in the parking lot the night before. And, if that was the case, someone probably had my precious Acadia in Canada by then. Thankfully, the front desk had them, and gave them up after identifying me by Dan's dog tags on them. PHEW!
Angie and I head out and enjoy a chatty and pretty uneventful 3 hours to East of St. Louis, where we were to drop my car off. That's when Sandy, our GPS decided to freeze. SHE DIED!! We had no other directions, but thankfully, we were near a McDonald's AND we had my iPod (See? And you just thought that was a boring stupid story). We were able to look up directions to the Hertz place downtown, then to the VPC (vehicle processing place), and then back to our hotel in downtown STL. We got to the VPC and a lady hops in to look at our gas level. It was *right* above a 1/4 of a tank, but needed to be AT a quarter or below. SO, we drove about a five mile loop...onto the interstate, exit off to a highway, and GUN IT back onto the interstate for an hour. It was funny...but not. Needless to say, we were pretty pooped.

Flooding...you could tell it had just been up over the road because it was a little muddy.


Not a half bad view....
We walked around the arch and area for a few hours, got something to eat, and then headed back to our hotel, which was right next to BUSCH STADIUM!!! As we were walking in the hotel, we heard this roar and realized that we could sit on the hotel patio and listen to the game! Angie had a beer and we ate our desserts from the restaurant.


It was a really nice time and was so happy to spend some time with my 'big' sissy. I only wish our younger sister could have came as well, but she was on vacation in FLORIDA!
Getting the car sent off is a huge weight off my shoulders. Thank you to everyone for your help this weekend to help us get it accomplished. It is SO appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment