Saturday, May 28, 2011

It took a village





What moving looks like...

That ain't no lie.
As I write this entry, we're already in S Korea and Dan's schooling me in 220V and 110V (or whatever) stuff and the importance of reading labels. NO, I have not burnt anything up...yet, but apparently, I was lucky that my CHI hair straightener didn't explode this morning. Gosh, isn't it enough that I endured that flight?? Now, I have to learn about Korean stuff as well?
The week the packers came was a crazy one. On Monday (the 16th), Ava had her Pre-school spring musical/graduation. My mom and dad came down for that and then we ate some lunch before picking up Abby and heading back to the house. Dad helped with a few things around the house and then drove back to Indiana, leaving Mom to help for the next few days. I gotta admit, my stress level was pretty high, but a chunk was lifted with each day that passed. The actual packing and loading was pretty uneventful. On Thursday, the day they packed our non-temp storage, Dan's parents came down to help for the day. All of them were so much help and I honestly don't think I could have done any of it without them.
Thursday night, Dan flew in! He was supposed to come in at 8:51, and I figured with de-planing, baggage claim, etc, he wouldn't be ready until about 9:10, but as I was getting Libby into her stroller, he called! He wanted to know WHERE we were!!:) His plane had arrived early and he was waiting for us in baggage claim. He wasn't even supposed to land for another 10 minutes. I *could* insert a funny story about Bill yelling at the wrong person here, but I won't....
It was great to see Dan and the girls were very excited to be with their Daddy again. I was so worried Libby wouldn't go to him, but she did. She was a little shy, but they have made up quickly and famously, so all is well with the world.
The next few days was a flurry of cleaning and organizing the house...prepping it to be rented. We mailed a lot of our stuff to Korea because anything that the packers sent would take at least a month. Not good when you have three young children.
Our families hosted a party for us in Westport on Saturday so we could see everyone in one spot to say goodbye. We won't be back until we move back, so it will be 1.5 to 2 years before we even have the chance to see these people. We were pleasantly surprised to see all those who came! We counted about 80 guests! It was a wonderful time, but so sad to say goodbye to everyone.
I'll have to post later about our first few days in South Korea, but Dan wants his computer to play a game while I watch 'Water for Elephants'.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment