Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Weeks 2-3(?)

I've lost track of the time here already.
Some odds and ends that have been going on...
The night before MY BIRTHDAY, our first shipment of stuff came! OH...you have no idea how exciting this is, unless you've gone without your things as long as we did. It was only about 20 boxes of dishes, clothes, toys, towels, etc, but it made such a big difference around here. It's weird to be in your 'home' without your things. It's kind of like living in a hotel, but not as fun. Dan came in from the field that afternoon so we could go to the Brigade S3 Hail and Farewell. I knew this was going to be at a place called (something) BBQ, so I thought, GREAT! A BBQ place...I can handle that. However, when Dan called me on his way home, he warned me it was a full-on Korean restaurant. RUH ROH! It ended up being just fine. We were a little late because Dan had to come in from the field AND I wasn't ready because of the HHG delivery. Mitzi came running up to me, when I walked in the door, and so did Unhi, another wife (who is Korean). Mitzi was SO SWEET, knowing I don't 'like' Korean food, and showed me all her favorites. You have to sit on the floor, go to the buffet (camera in my eyes), get your meat, and then cook it! I actually liked several of the things and the girls had a lot of fun cooking their own food. Everyone was so welcoming and friendly...so NICE! Too bad Dan's already left Brigade (as of today, the 18th), and in another unit. I hope 1st tank is as friendly!
The next day, I celebrated my first birthday in Korea! I woke up a little grumpy, because Dan was not here (he had to go back out like at 5am)and it was ANOTHER holiday, meant to honor ME, and here I was, by myself, dealing with the kids. NOT FAIR. I TRIED so hard to be a trooper about it and was on a positive route...I was going to take the girls to Baskin Robbins (a ten minute walk, if that) and get myself an ice cream cake! YAY! We hadn't been there yet, and thought this would be the perfect time to go. However, when I went to get my Won out of the cabinet to pay for my cake...I had NONE. NONE! I was so mad because I knew I'd just got $100,000W ($100), but then remembered that we'd used it to pay for the meal the night before and Dan must have forgotten to give me my money back. Well...full-on pout ensued! I had to have a hot dog for lunch, NO Baskin Robbins, and Dan wasn't due back home until 8 that night. OH...GOO! My poor family.
Thankfully, Dan came home about 2 that afternoon and we spent the afternoon going to a store and market I wanted to go to. It was FUN and ended up being a great Korean birthday.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment