Friday, August 19, 2011

July STUNK!



Out our apartment window at night-facing New City.

For realz...Dan was gone for most of it, it rained, and it rained some more...we were stuck in the apartment with three whiny kids, and then there was a flood. We had the heaviest rainfall this area has had in over a 100 years-or that's what I heard.

The ONLY bright spot was that we got our household goods. I had been nervous about getting our things because I'd sent so much, they couldn't fit it on the one truck they had sent to Kentucky. The movers had to come back later in that evening to get our sofa and other things.
If you're not aware, when you move, you're only allowed a certain amount of weight. This varies, depending on rank, and we've never came close to our full allotted weight. HOWEVER, when you move overseas, you're allowed HALF that weight. It's for good reason. One...it's less expensive to move you, two... overseas housing is usually smaller, so you don't need all your things, three...it forces you to purge and sort.
I quickly got over being nervous about getting our things because, after being without them for two months, I really didn't care. I would donate what wouldn't fit and deal with the rest.
We're slowly getting settled in. I have things put away, although Libby sure didn't help! UGH! She is into EVERYTHING! The only thing is...they broke ALOT of things and several things were lost. I'm focusing on decorating now, but that's proving to be interesting because most of the walls are concrete or marble and all of it is covered in wallpaper. BLEH!
The biggest thing that was broken was Libby's dresser. I was a little sick over it because we finally paid to get a 'nice' dresser, and it was broken. Of course, all the cheap-o Wal-mart dressers we've bought the older two over the years has made the moves in one piece. I have to put a claim in to be reimbursed for the things lost and broken. We've only tried that one time before and never got any money. They also lost the pedals to Ava's bike. I feel so bad for her. She was SO EXCITED to get her bike...and the pedals were gone. They take that kind of stuff off (the front wheel as well) to keep it from breaking. I have one on order, so hopefully they'll get here soon and she's able to ride her bike again.
The only times we really did get out to do anything fun were to take Abby to her camps, but Adventure Camp was cut short because of the flood (I'll make a separate post about that) and to meet a friend at Little Prince. Little Prince is a restaurant in New City that has a clean play area inside. You pay 5,000Won($5) per child for two hours. Did I mention that it's CLEAN? Nothing like McDonald's play areas in the States. They also have TV monitors so you can watch them play. It's great and the girls love going there. I met my friend Mitzi there, but we walked in the pouring rain to get there. I could have drove, but I was worried about finding a spot to park. So, we put our rain coats on, I put the cover over Libby's stroller and off we went! Libby's poor little feet were soaked by the time we got there because she refused to keep them under the cover, but she didn't care. The rain was WARM.
They run this train every hour. The kids LOVE it!


This is closer to the eating area, not that the area is huge, but it is kind of broken up.


Abby and David in the honeycombs. There's many more areas for them to play in. I'll have to take more pictures next time because, we WILL be back!


I didn't take many pictures in July...because we really didn't do much of anything, but here is what I've got:


Abby singing songs at Vacation Bible School


Watching the neighbor kids...


SKYPE!


Someone once asked me how we get our groceries and stuff up to our apartment. Well, this is a look at that. If I have the stroller in the car, it gets loaded up, but the older two are getting good at lugging bags to the elevator. Once it gets from the car to the elevator, I can get it. I just throw the bags out the elevator, on our floor, and then take the trips necessary to our door.
I promise Libby is sitting in the stroller!

No comments:

Post a Comment